Charles County is Connected
Located in the heart of the DC-Baltimore-Richmond corridor, Charles County provides easy access to all the major metros in the area as well as national and international markets. The County's network of highways, airports, waterways, and railroads link businesses with commercial hubs regionally, nationally, and globally.
Highways and Roads
Charles County has a road network of about 2,200 miles, 400 of which are maintained by the state of Maryland. All major interstates allow for easy access to the cities of Baltimore, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
- Route 301 Runs north to Baltimore and south to Richmond, Virginia.
- Route 5 Runs north to the Capital Beltway and Washington, DC and south to St. Mary's County.
- Route 228 Connects U.S. Route 301 in Waldorf to Maryland Route 210
- Route 210 Runs from the Naval Support Facility at Indian Head north to the Capital Beltway and offers access to Washington, DC.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - Less than 40 minutes from Waldorf, Reagan National serves more than 18 million passengers a year with domestic, commercial, and commuter flights. Eleven passenger airlines serve the airport and flights include daily nonstop service to 72 U.S. cities and direct service to two Canadian and two Caribbean cities.
- Dulles International Airport - One of the fastest growing airports in the U.S. - Dulles is less than an hour from Waldorf. Thirty-five passenger airlines and 24 cargo integrators operate at Washington Dulles. In 2010, Dulles served more than 23 million passengers, including more than 6.3 million international passengers.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) Less than an hour from Waldorf, BWI serves 40 passenger and cargo airlines and offers daily commercial flights to 62 domestic and 5 international destinations. In 2010, BWI served nearly 22 million passengers.
- Maryland Airport Located within Charles County just off Route 224 in Indian Head. This privately owned airport offers General Aviation services as well as overflow relief for Reagan National Airport. The airport is currently undergoing a $15 million FAA/state expansion adding a 4,300 foot paved runway to better serve Charles County. Maryland Airport will be the closest airport to Washington, DC that can accommodate corporate and private jets without TSA presence.
- The Potomac River can support shipping directly to Charles County. The Port of Baltimore is 50 miles north of Waldorf and features the Baltimore-Washington Intermodal Container Transfer Facility (ICTF), which can move cargo between bulkhead and railhead in record time. Adjacent to Baltimore's modern Seagirt Marine Terminal, the 84-acre (34 ha) ICTF allows cargo to catch a train to almost anywhere.
- A new joint partnership agreement between the Maryland Port Administration and Ports America makes it possible for the port to accommodate additional traffic traveling from the Panama Canal.
- The port is now only one of two East Coast ports to have a 50-foot berth and 50-foot channel, two key factors in being able to attract some of the largest container ships in the world.
Charles County is served by CSX, a leading supplier of rail-based freight transportation.
- The rail line runs through Waldorf, St. Charles, White Plains, and La Plata with commercial and industrial access.
- CSX rail continues south through the county to the NRG power generation station at Morgantown on the Potomac River.
- CSX Transportation network covers the Eastern U.S. with more than 21,000 miles of track in 23 states, Washington DC, Ontario, and Quebec, and access to 70 ports. See system map.
As one of Maryland's fastest-growing counties, Charles County is continually considering transportation enhancements to support growth. The County has made it the highest transportation priority to create a fixed-route, high-capacity transit service from the Washington, DC metro train (subway) system's Branch Avenue Metro Station to Waldorf/White Plains. Currently, the following services are available:
- Local: VanGo is the local public transit bus system with routes serving commercial hubs and communities throughout Charles County. VanGo was named best fixed route system in the state of Maryland by the Transportation Association of Maryland (TAM).
- Regional: The Maryland Transit Administration provides commuter bus service and one WMATA route to Washington, D.C. from Charles County and the rest of Southern Maryland with routes from commuter facilities throughout the community. The service operates Monday through Friday, transporting commuters from Charles County to Washington, DC in the a.m. and returning from Washington, DC to Charles County in the p.m.
Views from Charles
The SBDC offers training and counseling services to local businesses at all stages of growth. From the earliest stages of business planning, to preparing for business sale or exit strategy, the SBDC provides a range of resources.
Find A Property
Charles County EDD
10665 Stanhaven Place
White Plains, MD 20695
“We are proud to be a key part of Charles County’s future and we heartily encourage other, cutting-edge companies to join us.”
Chief Executive Officer
Competitive Power Ventures
“Charles County’s strategic location in the DC Metro region affords us networking and business opportunities with some of the top names in our industry."
Director of Business Development