Charles County offers high-quality, award-winning educational programs and institutions that provide the business community with a highly-educated workforce. As a state, Maryland's public school system has consistently achieved "top-in-the nation" status.
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) is a concentration that Charles County has embedded into curriculum from pre-K through grade 12 classrooms. North Point High School, one of seven high schools in the County, offers 17 science, technology, and industry (referred to as STI) programs. An estimated half of the student body is enrolled in one of these programs. Programs include biotechnology, engineering, Cisco Networking Academy, and more. Additionally, Charles County offers advanced education opportunities with regionally-accredited community colleges like the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) which provides students with a variety of learning options.
The Mid-Atlantic corridor (region including Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia, West Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware) has the greatest concentration of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)-related industries in the world.
Click here to learn more about Charles County Public Schools' (CCPS) Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) initiatives.
Charles County Public School by the Numbers
- Total Enrollment 26,307
- Total schools and educational centers - 40
- 21 Elementary Schools
- 8 Middle Schools
- 7 High Schools
- 9 private schools offer various levels of education from pre-K through secondary levels
*Source: Charles County Board of Education (2016)
Charles County's Superintendent is the winner of the 2011 Alan Shepard Technology in Education Award.
- The College of Southern Maryland (CSM) is a regionally-accredited community college offering a variety of learning options, student services, and high-quality workforce development training and support. CSM offers courses at three campus locations, several specialty centers, as well as on-line and web-hybrid courses. CSM strives to create a global education program, however remains a local institution with a stake in supporting our community's academic, professional, and self-enrichment pursuits.
- The University of Maryland Extension comprises the off-campus educational arm of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Other World Class Educational Institutions That Are Close By:
- Johns Hopkins University
- St. Mary's College of Maryland
- George Washington University
- Mary Washington University
- Georgetown University
Views from Charles
For our latest edition of “Looking Local,” we spoke to Richard Fray, co-founder of Dat Jerk Caribbean Chargrill, located in Waldorf.
Find A Property
“We are proud to be a key part of Charles County’s future and we heartily encourage other, cutting-edge companies to join us.”
Chief Executive Officer
Competitive Power Ventures
“Charles County’s strategic location in the DC Metro region affords us networking and business opportunities with some of the top names in our industry."
Director of Business Development