Charles County values entrepreneurs and small businesses and their importance to the local economy. The EDD team is here to help entrepreneurs and business owners navigate and leverage the many resources available to get a business off the ground and to grow.
Strategically located within the Washington DC Metro Area, Charles County provides access to regional and national markets, a high quality of life, and a range of available real estate space—all the resources needed to get a business going.
These local services help entrepreneurs establish and expand their business.
- TechFire: As Southern Maryland’s technology incubator, the Energetics Technology Center’s TechFire program provides expert support and resources to grow technology-oriented businesses. The TechFire network helps entrepreneurs build successful and sustainable companies at a variety of stages. It has a special focus on women, minority, and veteran entrepreneurs and offers one-on-one support from “Entrepreneurs in Residence.” For more information, contact Kim Mozingo via email or phone at 301-645-6637, x711.
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC): SBDC helps small businesses to start, grow, and be profitable. Services are free and confidential with additional low-cost training options available. The SBDC Charles County office is located at the College of Southern Maryland's (CSM) La Plata Campus. For more information, contact Ellen Flowers-Fields via email or phone at 301-934-7580.
- College of Southern Maryland’s Entrepreneur and Innovation Institute: This institute launched in Fall 2016 and creates an environment to help, students, startups, and businesses accelerate, innovate, and grow. The Institute brings together students and the business community through a variety of events, such as mentoring, conferences, showcases, and roundtables. A related fund supports initiatives and programs that promote partnership with students from K-12 and four year colleges. For more information, contact Thomas Luginbill via email or phone at 240-426-3244.
OTHER LOCAL RESOURCES
- Business Licenses: The Clerk of the Circuit Court issues licenses required for doing business in Charles County. To determine whether or not a license is needed, contact 301-932-3223.
- Charles County Small/Local Business Enterprise (SLBE): The Economic Development Department runs the SLBE program to make it easier for small, Charles County companies to do business with county government. For more information, contact Lucinia Mundy.
- Charles County Minority Business Enterprise (MBE): Administered by the Economic Development Department, this program was established by the Charles County Commissioners to encourage minority business participation in the County's procurement process. The Program has an aspirational MBE participation goal of 25%. The County conducts its own MBE registration, and recognizes MBE certification by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT), and Federal 8-A certification. For more information, contact Lucinia Mundy.
- Maryland Procurement Technical Assistance Program (PTAP): The PTAP provides counseling services at no or low cost to Maryland small business owners who want to do business with government and respond to RFPs. Free counseling and mentoring programs and low-cost workshops help businesses acquire the skills and understanding of the requirements of government contracting and the marketing know-how to pursue, win, and perform federal, state, and local government contracts.
Views from Charles
Ignite Entrepreneurship: Tips for Success from the College of Southern Marylandís Entrepreneur and Innovation Institute
In our newest blog series, “Ignite Entrepreneurship,” we profile local entrepreneurs to learn more about what “ignited” their success, and also gain insights about being an entrepreneur in Charles County. For the first blog of this series, we sat down with Thomas Luginbill, director of the College of Southern Maryland’s newly-established Entrepreneur and Innovation Institute (EII).
Find A Property
Charles County EDD
10665 Stanhaven Place
White Plains, MD 20695
Phone: 301-885-1340, x2202
“We are proud to be a key part of Charles County’s future and we heartily encourage other, cutting-edge companies to join us.”
Chief Executive Officer
Competitive Power Ventures
“Charles County’s strategic location in the DC Metro region affords us networking and business opportunities with some of the top names in our industry."
Director of Business Development