The University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center ranks #6 for top hospitals in the state of Maryland, and is the largest healthcare provider in Charles County. Formerly known as Civista Medical Center, the hospital's main campus is located in the heart of La Plata. The healthcare facility offers an obstetrics/birthing center with private patient rooms, critical care units (ICU/CCU), inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, a wound healing center, imagining and laboratory services, surgical suites and 24-hour emergency care with in-house physician coverage for pediatrics and surgery. Outpatient Centers include an Urgent Care Center and Rehabilitation Center in downtown La Plata and OB/GYN and Surgical Care offices in Waldorf and La Plata.
Awards and Recognition include:
- The 2014 Minogue Award for Patient Safety Innovation
- The 2014 Delmarva Foundation Excellence Award
- Named Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® for the fourth consecutive year by The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
- The Workplace Excellence and the Health & Wellness Seal of Approval awards from the Alliance for Workplace Excellence for outstanding commitment to overall workplace quality and to employee health and wellness, for the 11th consecutive year.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association awards "Get With -e Guidelines: Stroke Gold-Plus Quality Achievement Award" and "Target: Stroke Honor Roll" for implementing quality improvement measures to reduce death and disability for stroke patients.
FAST FACTS and FIGURES
- From 2010-1015, the health care and social assistance sectors added more than 600 jobs.
- The health care and social assistance sector represents 15 percent of the County's private employment base.
AT A GLANCE
- The University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center offers an array of services for residents in the region. Recent and in-progress expansions include the Regional Rehabilitation Center, the Urgent Care Center, and the Outpatient Imaging Center.
- Four world-class institutions within an hour's drive: Children's National Medical Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, university of Maryland Medical Center and John's Hopkins Hospital.
- Available real estate in medical parks, new office space and concentrations of medical and related services.
- Demonstrated need for more medical specialists within Charles County.
- Competivie wages in health care sectors, paired with a lower cost of living than the DC Metro area.
University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center: Ranked among the top 18 percent of accredited hospitals in the United States. Earned the distinction of Top Performers on Key Quality Measures for attaining and sustaining excellence in accountability measure performance
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians: Provides primary care by Johns Hopkins physicians.
Sagepoint Senior Living Services: Leading provider of senior nursing, adult day care, assisted living, and home care.
Views from Charles
Ignite Entrepreneurship: Tips for Success from the College of Southern Marylandís Entrepreneur and Innovation Institute
In our newest blog series, “Ignite Entrepreneurship,” we profile local entrepreneurs to learn more about what “ignited” their success, and also gain insights about being an entrepreneur in Charles County. For the first blog of this series, we sat down with Thomas Luginbill, director of the College of Southern Maryland’s newly-established Entrepreneur and Innovation Institute (EII).
Find A Property
“We are proud to be a key part of Charles County’s future and we heartily encourage other, cutting-edge companies to join us.”
Chief Executive Officer
Competitive Power Ventures
“Charles County’s strategic location in the DC Metro region affords us networking and business opportunities with some of the top names in our industry."
Director of Business Development