St. Charles Communities
St. Charles is a 9,100 acre master-planned community that allows a mix of office, retail, industrial, and residential community development. Zoning and conditions of approval within the Planned Unit Development (PUD) are governed by a document referred to as Docket 90 rather than by the county zoning.
St. Charles includes 3.3 million square miles of retail, office and industrial space on approximately 1,000 acres in the commercial developed portion of the PUD. Most of the industrial buildings are located in four business parks comprising over 1.5 million square feet of industrial space. St. Charles is comprised of five villages and is approved for nearly 25,000 residential units.
St. Charles provides unique opportunities for growth and new commercial development within the heart of Waldorf.
ST. CHARLES FEATURED BUSINESSES
- Competitive Power Ventures (CPV)'s St. Charles Energy Center construction is underway and is the largest economic development project in Charles County. CPV's $650 million project will generate $100 million in revenue over 20 years. This 725 megawatt natural gas-fired combined cycle power plant will generate enough electricity to power more than 650,000 homes. Operations are to begin Winter 2016.
- St. Charles Towne Center Mall is a 1.1 million square foot regional shopping mall and the only one in Southern Maryland. It is owned and operated by Simon Property Company. St. Charles commercial centers draw from a regional base of customers in excess of 1.5 million from throughout Southern Maryland, Southern Washington D.C., Prince George's County, and Central Virginia.
- Restore Health Rehabilitation Center feels much like visiting an upscale hotel, allowing patients to recover in comfort as they return to good health. The 45,000 s.f. resort-style rehab center was completed in 2014 and offers Southern Maryland geriatric residents an easier transition between hospital to home.
- Hilton Garden Inn Waldorf is only 45 minutes from downtown Washington DC and Ronald Reagan National Airport and 1 hour to Baltimore/Washington International Airport. It is close to the St. Charles Town Center mall and includes 2,865 square feet of event space and a complimentary 24-hour business center. Complimentary WiFi and a 37-inch flat-screen TV are in all guest rooms; the hotel also includes a complimentary 24-hour fitness center, heated indoor pool, and whirlpool.
- CHUTES International, a leading chutes manufacturer and distributor, expanded its Charles County operations in 2015 with a new 45,000-square-foot facility located at 33 Industrial Park Drive. A Charles County employer since 1989, the firm outgrew its 12,000-square-foot White Plains-based plant. The additional space will allow CHUTES to run two lines of manufacturing instead of a single line and minimize products being outsourced. CHUTES delivers quality debris removal systems to general contractors, architects, and building owners.
- Soltesz is a multi-disciplinary engineering firm experienced in navigating clients through each phase of a project to innovative, effective solutions. They were the developers for Waldorf Marketplace, a multi-phased project consisting of the design and construction of two main strip buildings and nine pad sites. National Harbor is one of their larger projects.
- Waldorf West Library opened in 2012 and was the first Charles County building to be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified, redefining the way visitors think about the places they live, work and learn. The 30,169 square-foot building has six meeting areas, as well as radio frequency identification for library materials, drive-through book drop, natural lighting, and a public art gallery.
- Charles County Motor Vehicle Administration Office is located at 11 Industrial Drive in the St. Charles Business Park. The full service MVA office provides a complete range of drivers license services.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND BLUE CRABS
St. Charles has a professional baseball team, the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. Regency Furniture Stadium, a 4,200 seat baseball park, opened in 2008 and is home to the Blue Crabs. It serves as a popular venue that can be rented for community events, with an extensive menu and catering available. The parking lot is an ideal spot for widespread events, such as flea markets, 5Ks, and Autocross. The Blue Crabs offer field rentals to all youth sports teams, giving them the chance of a lifetime to play on a professionally maintained playing surface. Previous events at the ball park have included weddings, Charles County: A fun Filled Fourth and Fall Fest, ASA opening ceremonies, Relay for Life, March of Dimes, and many more. View Stadium Diagram.
St. Charles has 10 neighborhood schools and 9 community centers. The County's newest high school, St. Charles High School, opened in 2014 and has a student capacity of 1,900 students. The school serves as an anchor of a new green community in the St. Charles area and offers several STEM opportunities to students and the community. Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) students are privileged to have access to specialized features at the James E. Richmond Science Center, a focal point of the high school, which includes a digital classroom, Science on a Sphere, and Telepresence technology. All CCPS students participate in age-appropriate education throughout the year.
The state-of-the-art, 60-foot diameter, 184-seat Digital Dome Classroom raises the level of science and math curricula, as well as provides learning opportunities in other subjects and fine arts. The Center's 6-foot diameter NOAA Science On a Sphere® is one of only approximately 130 in the world, and one of only two in public schools. It allows students to study the impacts of specific environmental scenarios, such as storms, climate change and ocean currents, on Earth and the atmosphere. Along with field trips for school groups, the Science Center hosts community and family events on weekends and evenings. It has become a destination for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts for them to complete their badge requirements and is now available for private facility rentals.
Views from Charles
The SBDC offers training and counseling services to local businesses at all stages of growth. From the earliest stages of business planning, to preparing for business sale or exit strategy, the SBDC provides a range of resources.
Find A Property
“We are proud to be a key part of Charles County’s future and we heartily encourage other, cutting-edge companies to join us.”
Chief Executive Officer
Competitive Power Ventures
“Charles County’s strategic location in the DC Metro region affords us networking and business opportunities with some of the top names in our industry."
Director of Business Development