The village of Benedict was first settled as a colonial port town in 1706 and is located in far-eastern Charles County along a narrow peninsula bordering the Patuxent River and Mill Creek. The village has a rich maritime history spanning more than three centuries. Today, the village of Benedict consists of 150 acres and includes residential areas and marinas and restaurants, a post office, a firehouse, and a Catholic church. Due to its small size, isolated location on a peninsula, and waterfront attractions, Benedict has always been a very walkable community. The peninsula is less than a mile in length and measures less than a quarter-mile at its widest point. Benedict shoreline on the Patuxent is approximately 5,167 ft.
Because of its strong historical themes, regional location, and abundant waterfront, in 2012, Charles County completed the Benedict Waterfront Village Revitalization Plan, a community-based vision for the future of Benedict that includes improved water access and amenities, infill, redevelopment opportunities, and planned sewer service improvements.
Recent County projects/investments include completion of the Phase 1 Benedict Boardwalk, Village Gateway enhancements, Sewer Feasibility Study/Design, shoreline stabilization, and Historic Asset documentation and promotion. The County anticipates business opportunities as revitalization and infrastructure projects advance.
By The Numbers
Proximity to DC