Infographic courtesy of article, "Small Business Saturday Statistics" on grasshopper.com.
Online shopping can sound very attractive when considering getting out in the cold and battling holiday traffic on Waldorf’s Route 301. But, this season, consider spending your dollars at home, where our own community will reap the benefits—and not just the financial ones.
Here is the EDD’s list of top six things you can do by shopping Charles County this year.
- Keep Money Local—Each dollar you spend at independent businesses returns three times more money to our local economy than one spent at a chain (almost 50 times more than buying from an online mega-retailer). Sales taxes help fund our schools and provide vital government services. Local businesses tend to buy and sell with other local businesses, but with national or multi-national firms, a percentage of that profit “leaks” out of Charles County, the state of Maryland, or even the nation.
- Build Community—The casual relationships built around small-scale businesses and public spaces help create a sense of place. Also, local businesses support good work in our community and owners are involved in all facets of life.
- Invest Locally—Our local businesses are less susceptible to national downturns and are more likely to work harder to stay open. They know their business decisions will affect them personally and their community. They’re also more likely to get to know their customers and build personal relationships.
- Buy Locally-Made Products—Our local business owners sell local products, which help preserve our community’s culture and create more jobs locally, as well. Our independent businesses help give our community its distinct personality and often sell unique products not found in a national big-box store.
- Receive Better Service and Product Knowledge—Local business owners are well informed about their products and know what they are selling. They also do what they do because they are passionate about their products and typically take more time to get to know their customers. They’ll often go the extra mile to help you and ensure you’re a satisfied customer.
- Support Future Growth—Shopping locally is a great way to show pride in Charles County and help protect the businesses that make us unique. The next time you need a special item, the next day, your online, big-box store most likely won’t be there for you. But, your local business owner will have your back. Buying from them now will help ensure they’re still here for the future.