Hughesville thrived and grew in the 1800s and 1900s as a central location for Southern Maryland's tobacco trade. Current efforts are underway to revitalize the area by bringing in 21st century business while preserving the heritage of the area.
The Hughesville Village Revitalization Plan was adopted in May 2007 and envisions a village core with small-scale, retail-oriented, commercial, office and employment areas that are pedestrian-friendly. Revitalization efforts include facade improvements, infill and adaptive reuse, and infrastructure improvements to create a walkable community that provides basic goods and services.
Priorities for Hughesville Village include new zoning to support a walkable retail/commercial core in the village; streetscape improvements for Old Leonardtown Road; and improvements to the historic "Barns" tobacco buildings to create a regional multi-use destination. In 2013, the County Commissioners authorized going forward with priority funding area changes for the Hughesville area as related to a new College of Southern Maryland (CSM) campus in Hughesville, the adjacent Hughesville Station office and employment center, and the "Barns" historic revitalization project.
COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (CSM)--REGIONAL HUGHESVILLE CAMPUS
CSM's new Regional Hughesville Campus is designed to create a sense of community and includes five phases of growth. The 74-acre campus, which broke ground in Fall 2015, is envisioned to house the following four educational programs: Center for Trades and Energy Training; Health Sciences; a Fine Arts Center; and Athletic Fields/Field House.
Phase I: NOW OPEN: A New Center for Trades and Energy Training
The 30,000-square-foot Center for Trades and Energy Training (CT Building), the first building on the Regional Hughesville Campus, provides residents direct access to specialized training in career fields that have substantial growth potential.
CSM HUGHESVILLE CAMPUS QUICK FACTS
- 50+ guaranteed articulation agreements with four-year institutions
- Number of acres: 74
- Workforce training emphasis
- CTET building square footage: 30,000
- CTET programs: HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and construction
For updates, visit http://www.csmd.edu/about/locations/regional-campus/index.html
HUGHESVILLE STATION BUSINESS CENTER
Hughesville Station Business Center is situated within the State of Maryland's Priority Funding Area (PFA) and is included in the area to be served by public sewer and water in the near future. The business center lies adjacent to the CSM campus and offers an ideal centralized location to key industry users who would substantially benefit by being located close to a major educational institution with access to the three Southern Maryland counties. It is anticipated that Hughesville Station Business Center will be a major driver for economic development in Charles County and substantially support the Village of Hughesville's revitalization efforts.
BUSINESS CENTER QUICK FACTS
- Number of acres: 40 acres with possibility to expand to over 50 acres
- Office and retail: Diverse professional and non professional uses. Zoning supports professional office users, the health care industry, and educational uses, as well as flex light industrial uses. Ancillary retail is also permitted.
- New construction: The entire development will support newly constructed buildings and infrastructure. The latest energy and cost efficient construction methods will be used.
- Land and buildings for purchase, build-to-suit, or lease: Plans include a 30,000 square foot medical facility. Various development parcels within the project are available for lease, sale, or build-to-suit.